If you want to get an uncontested divorce in DuPage County, Illinois, this FAQ might be useful to you.
I’m a DuPage County lawyer, and I handle divorce cases in Wheaton Illinois. I know that most people want a cheap and fast uncontested divorce. The good news is that you can use an actually lawyer at an affordable rate.
Where do I get divorced?
If you case is in DuPage County, you will get divorce in the Divorce Court at the DuPage County Circuit Court.
DuPage County Divorce Court
505 N County Farm Rd
Wheaton, IL 60187
Who can get divorced in DuPage County?
As long as other jurisdictional requirements are met (such as one party having lived in Illinois for at least 90 days), you can get divorce ins DuPage County if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You live in DuPage County
- You live outside DuPage County, but your spouse lives within DuPage County
- You both live in DuPage County
I wrote this article about where everyone in Cook County can get divorced.
Do I need a lawyer for an uncontested divorce in DuPage County?
It is possible – however, every year I get cases from people who handle a divorce themselves only for it to cause problems down the line.
Some of the benefits of hiring a DuPage County divorce lawyer include the following:
Here are some of the benefits of hiring a lawyer for your uncontested divorce in Skokie:
- Normally only one trip to court
- Avoid wasting time figuring out what to file
- Knowing your rights
- Understand what type of problems could come up in the future
How long does an uncontested divorce take?
In DuPage County, an uncontested divorce can take as little as one month. However, exactly how long depends how fast you get certain things done, a lawyer’s schedule, an the Court’s schedule.
How much is an uncontested divorce?
An affordable DuPage County divorce attorney might cost between $1,250 and $2,000 normally for an uncontested case. However, the particular costs depends upon the facts of your case. For example, whether or not you have kids, real estate, own a business, need to divide a retirement account.
What is the process for an uncontested divorce?
- Meeting with a divorce lawyer: Often the best way to meet or gather information is virtually. I know most of my clients don’t want to drive around or take off work to meet me.
- Drafting the paperwork and settlement agreements: I’ll draft various court documents, including a marital settlement agreement and a agreement for allocation of parental responsibilities (what used to be called child custody).
- Reviewing paperwork: You review the documents I draft. After approval, both you and your spouse sign where necessary.
- Filing paperwork: With the the process I used, all the paper work is filed at once, for a streamlined process.
- Finalizing the divorce: We go to court for the “prove up” where the divorce is finalized. You should be there less than 2 hours. Pretty easy, right?
Is there any reason I can’t get an uncontested divorce?
The only think stopping an uncontested divorce in DuPage County is often lack of agreement. If both spouses agree, you can get the job done. It doesn’t matter if you have kids, have real estate, or own a business.