Do you need a free consultation with a divorce lawyer? That’s an understandable desire. Who doesn’t like free stuff’? But if you want to get a fast and affordable uncontested divorce in Illinois, you need to read this article about free consultations about Illinois divorce – or contact us online or or call me at 224-300-0529.
Why do you need a free consultation?
Before a free consultation – or any consultation – you should determine what you want to get out of it.
- Do you want to know the process?
- Do you want to know how long it takes?
- Do you want to know how a retirement account is split?
The type of consultation you actually need – or don’t need – should be determined by what you need.
What is the cost of a free consultation?
Most people have a gut reaction that compels them to seek something for free. But there are sometimes hidden costs.
For a free consultation, here is the obvious cost:
And here are some of the hidden costs:
- Perhaps 3 hours including travel time
- What you could have been doing instead of wasting time
- Hearing information where the monetary cost equals its value
I’m sure you agree that lawyer are lawyers to make money. Trust me, being a divorce lawyer is not exactly a bunch of fun. So do you actually think the lawyers is going to take a bunch of time and give you the absolute most value possible, for free? It doesn’t seem likely.
What lawyers offer free consultations?
A lot of them. It’s easy enough to call around and find one.
It’s basically a marketing tactic. Let me explain.
Wal-Mart and other big stores have what they call “loss leaders.” These are items that are so cheap that Wal-Mart may lose money on them. But they draw people in the door.
That’s how many lawyers use free divorce consultations.
On the other hand, I don’t need to get clients that way. I value my time, and I don’t want to waste yours by having your haul yourself to my office for not reason other than to impress you with my fancy furniture and receptionist (I actually don’t have either).
What is the alternative to a free consultation?
Here are two alternatives I offer a free consultation.
- 10 minute phone chat: Many times people call me and ask for a consultation. The I explain how an uncontested divorce in Illinois can be simple, fast, and affordable. That often does the trick.
- 30 minute turbo consultation: I offer a 30 minute, paid phone consultation. You don’t need waste time coming to my office.
- 1 hour, in-depth consultation: For this in-person consultation, we can get into details. I charge an hourly rate that is below my hourly rate for litigation. For some people, this is useful. And my goal is to provide the most value possible within one hour.
Can’t I just start my uncontested divorce?
Yes, you can. As I mentioned, usually people realize they can simply and quickly start an uncontested divorce in Illinois.
So long as you agree to all aspects of the divorce, you area ready to start the process.
If you want to learn a bit more about the process for an uncontested divorce, you should check out this article.