See this 5 quick tips for a fast uncontested divorce in Illinois – or get started now by calling 312-554-5433. When it’s fast, it’s affordable.
Let’s know waste time. Here are 5 quick tips than can help you with a fast (and affordable) uncontested divorce in Illinois.
Tip 1: Use a lawyer
If you don’t you a lawyer, there is a very good chance you will run into the following problems.
- You will file the wrong documents
- You will use a garbage divorce website that claims its documents are guaranteed to be accepted by the court
- You will think you’re filing everything necessary, but you won’t be, causing a waste of time
- You will go to court thinking you are there to finalize your divorce, and the judge will tell you he or she will not enter the judgment you’ve prepared
For a bit more about this, see this article about why to use a lawyer in an uncontested divorce in Illinois.
Tip 2: Get realistic
When you are negotiating with your spouse, you need to be realistic. You may delay your divorce if you take a position that is not consistent with a) the law and/or, b) what would be ordered in court if the case were litigated.
There are many things you may not like about the law. For example, people don’t like this type of stuff:
- paying spousal maintenance
- not getting enough spousal maintenance
- paying child support
- not getting enough child support
- not seeing their kids enough
- having to sell the house and move
- getting stuck with debt they think is the other person’s resposibility
What you should considering is that getting divorced is not about what you think is fair. It’s about what the court thinks is fair based upon the law and caselaw. So if you take an extreme position because you think it’s the right thing to do, you may be delaying your divorce without good cause.
Tip 3: Forget the past
People get divorced because they aren’t happy with who they married. It could be because of the following reasons:
- Getting lied to
- Getting abused
- Promises being broken
Guess what? If you want to get divorced, you need to understand that getting divorce is not about punishing people. So you don’t get more money just because you were wronged.
Tip 4: Know the real cost of litigation
Litigation is very expensive. You should consider the cost of litigation in any settlement proposal.
For example, suppose it will cost $20,000 to fight your case. Maybe instead of that you should pay your spouse $10k that you think he/she doesn’t really deserve. That way you will save $10k and get to be done with your case.
Tip 5: Start now
People call me to ask questions, then “think about it.” Sometimes they call me months later to ask a few more questions, then weeks after that to actually start. That type of delay usually does not benefit the person who wants a divorce.
I help people make their uncontested divorce in Illinois fast and easy, and for an affordable flat fee. I offer services in the counties of Cook, DuPage, Lake, and Will, and in cities such as Evanson, Glenview, Skokie, Northbrook, Waukegan, Wheaton, St. Charles, Naperville, and Joliet.